How to Change a Flat Tire
Whether you drive a 2019 Volkswagen Atlas or VW Tiguan, one thing is certain: you can experience a flat tire at any given moment. Hitting a pothole hard, driving over a nail, or running into a curb with too much force are just examples of some of the things that can result in a flat tire.
Because a tire going flat is a constant threat drivers must contend with whenever they’re behind the wheel, it’s vital that you know how to change a flat tire. Here are the steps you should follow to change a flat:
- Maneuver your vehicle to a safe place away from traffic
- Turn on your hazard lights and put your parking brake on
- Put wheel wedges in the appropriate places, meaning in front of your front wheels if you’re changing a rear tire or in back of your rear wheels if you’re changing a front tire
- Remove the wheel cover
- Loosen the lugs
- Use your jack to raise your car
- Finish removing the lug nuts and remove your flat tire
- Mount your spare tire and use your hand to tighten the lugs slightly
- Lower your car a bit and finish tightening the lug nuts
- Finish lowering your automobile so it’s resting on the roadway
- Put you wheel cover back on
- Make an appointment to bring your car into our VW service center near Babylon, NY
If your flat tire can’t be repaired, you’ll need to get a new tire. Luckily, we have an onsite Tire Store at Sunrise Volkswagen, where you’ll find tires that are a perfect fit for your Volkswagen car. Visit our convenient location today!